Ethical Gift Guide 2017
We know shopping for the holidays is stressful enough already, especially if you want to be conscious of the companies you support...
... So here's 100 ethical gift ideas!
Buying ethical gifts is good for more than just the recipient – by supporting these companies you are supporting great causes and shifting the market to place more emphasis on responsible production. (P.S. If these don't check off everything on your list, check out our 2016 guide! )
To help you navigate how these gifts help the world, we’ve made a nifty key:
F = FAIR TRADE
S = SUSTAINABLE (materials, production, or both)
C = GIVES TO A CHARITY/ CAUSE
E = EMPLOYS A NON-TRADITIONAL DEMOGRAPHIC (the homeless, disabled, women, human trafficking survivors, etc.)
L = LOCAL BUSINESS/ MADE IN OHIO
We also have some DIY and non-wrappable gift ideas for you, to add some more fun to the mix.
1. S + F :: Recycled Fabric Chalk Bag - prAna :: $20
2. S :: Recycled Wetsuits Yoga Mat - Suga :: $70
3. S + E :: Toasted Apricot Topanga Bra - Girlfriend :: $68
4. S + C :: Randygoat Pant - Nau :: $130
5. S + L :: Organic Muscle Rub - B. Witching Bath Co. :: $16
6. S + C :: Infusing Hot or Cold 18oz Bottle - Welly :: $35
8. S :: Upcycled Bike Tube Handlebar Bag - Green Guru Gear :: $45
9. S + C :: Slight Pullover - Nau :: $54
10. F + C : Street Soccer Ball - Senda :: $40
11. S + C :: Wool Runners - Allbirds :: $95
12. C :: Popsocket - POINT :: $10
* Oh, yeah, right, that's us! We are a 501(c)3 non-profit making volunteering easier than ever with a free app. Profits from our merch keep us up and running and ensure we can keep our app free. Shameless, we know, but popsockets are genius and expand into a phone holder or stand.
C :: Take your frient to a class on trail running at a Columbus REI, then hit the trails together! :: $Gas money
1. S :: Vegan Passport Sleeve in Feather- Matt & Nat :: $28
2. S :: Vegan Luggage Tag in Feather - Matt & Nat :: $28
3. F + C :: Turkish Inspired Hand Woven Travel Jewelry Roll - Uncommon Goods :: $20
4. F + C :: JOYN Malti Vegan Weekender - Remedy Road :: $116
5. F + E :: Woven DSLR Camera Strap - Purse & Clutch :: $44
6. C + F + S:: Free to Explore Pouch - The Tote Project :: $21
7. S :: Voyage Travel Kit - Earth Tu Face :: $42
8. S :: Upcycled Silk Sleep Mask - Earthen Warrior :: $78
9. F + E :: Sari & Leather Travel Journal - Ten Thousand Villages :: $25
10. S :: Florence Floral Eye Mask - Azura Bay :: $18
11. S :: V-10 Extra White Kicks - Veja :: ~$140
12. S + C :: Believe in Better Case - Pela :: $35
S :: Travel memory list: Write down a memory you've shared with a loved one for every place you've visited together :: $0
1. S :: Small, Medium, Large Assorted Set - Bee's Wrap :: $18
* Here’s the deal with plastic wrap: that stuff never decomposes. According to studies, plastic wrap has the potential to leach estrogen-like chemicals into your food. This Bee's Wrap will hold it’s seal, can be reused, and it will decompose. (Also... that design <3). If you would rather make your own with custom fabric patterns, find DIY directions here!
2. S + C :: Reuseable Glass Straw Party Pack - Simply Straws :: $44
3. S :: Kitchen Composter - Uncommon Goods :: $15 – 55
5. S + F + E :: Salvaged Wood Cookbook and Tablet Stand - Uncommon Goods :: $60
6. S :: Clear Reusable Sandwich Bag - Stasher :: $12
7. S :: Home Down Under Sink Caddy - Full Circle :: $35
8. S + F :: Palm Shopper- The Little Market :: $50
L + S :: Let your friend beautify their yard (or apartment balcony) by planting a pollinator garden with an Eastern Great Lakes Pollinator Mix seed packet :: $16
S :: Buy them an acre (or more!) of rainforest - World Land Trust :: $You choose
1. S + C :: Randulf Grandad Collar Hemp Shirt - Thought :: $67
2. S + C :: Mens Woodland Bamboo Sock Gift Box - Thought :: $34
3. F + E + S :: Anya Small Hoops - Raven + Lily :: $24
4. C :: Unity Rings - Purpose Jewelry :: $38
5. S + C :: Guyana Sunglasses - Solo :: $89
6. C + E :: American Flag Cuff Links - Same Sky :: $95
7. F + E + C :: Plaid Chenille Poncho - Ten Thousand Villages :: $100
8. S :: Reclaimed Guitar String Bracelet - Uncommon Goods :: $38
* You might have seen this bag on your neighborhood Instagram influencer. When you buy from 31 Bits you can trust they are not just paying fair and sustainable wages, but they also work to create dignified jobs and lifestyles for their artisans. Read more here. Thanks to 31 Bits for providing ethical products for the last 10 years!
10. S :: Claire Dress - Wallis Evera :: $77
11. S :: Sarai Pointed Flat - Able :: $98
12. C :: Hex Nectie - Neck and Tie Co. :: $46
13. S :: Nevaditas Silky Night Boots - Mamahuhu :: $178
S :: Wear No Evil, by Eagen - AmazonSmile :: $11 (not pictured)
S :: You can find some gems shopping secondhand either online or in your city. In Columbus, we like shopping at STORE 5a.
1. C :: Hyacinth Votive - Bee Fayre :: $10
2. S :: Holiday Gift Tree - The Magnolia Company :: $66
3. C :: Darling Quartz Blanket - Sackcloth & Ashes :: $119
4. S + C + F :: The Logo Sock - KOTN :: $16
*KOTN could be your new go-to for classic basics. KOTN is "farm-to-table model, but for your clothes". They work directly with cotton farming families in Egypt, meaning a fair wage for them. KOTN has also partnered with pro-literacy organizations in the Nile Delta and built schools in rural farming regions. Rumor has it, they have the best cotton tee on the market.
5. S + C :: Escape Waffle Beanie - TenTree :: $32
6. S :: Holiday Spruce Grow Kit - Uncommon Goods :: $15
7. F :: Plant-Dyed Throw in Blush - 31 Bits :: $88
9. C + E :: Half the Sky - Amazon Smile :: ~ $9
10. C :: 100% Human French Terry Sweatshirt - Everlane :: $50
11. F + E :: Cold Cave Tea Light Holder - Ten Thousand Villages :: $7
12. F + C :: Coffee Mug - Casa Verde :: $26
13. F + E :: Elephant Bookends - Ten Thousand Villages :: $40
S + (F + L) :: DIY Coffee Scrub - Use local or fair trade organic ingredients and reusable mason jars for extra goodness! Divide your scrubs and add a couple drops of organic peppermint or lavender oil for a relaxing scrub. :: ~$5/ gifted jar (depending on size)
1. S :: Cream Foundation – Kjaer Weis :: $68
* Makeup packaging creates huge amounts of waste per year. Now with Kjaer Weis you can get refills on your makeup - foundation, lip stick, highlighter, mascara, blush, pencils and even face oil. Makeup is made without parabens, silicones, petrochemical emulsifiers, or synthetic fragrances. Products are Certified Natural or Certified Organic and are not tested on animals. This is a brand to get excited about.
3. S + F :: Coconut Reishi Nourishing Day Cream – Alaffia :: $19
4. S :: Refillable Paperback Duo Eyeshadow Compact - Ecco Bella :: $11
5. S + F :: Intergalactic Bath Bomb Set - LUSH :: $27
6. S :: Coconut Bath Milk - Herbivore Botanicals :: $25
7. S + C :: Tree & Seed Men’s Collection - Green People :: $44
8. S :: Organic Highlighter - Zao :: $22
9. S :: Matcha Clay Mask - Faerie Organic :: $24
10. L :: Himalayan Salt Infused Facial + Body Bar - Skin Foodie :: $6
11. L :: Original Red Lipstick - The Tart Peach :: $20
1. F + S :: Fair Quinoa Vodka - Fair. :: $30
2. F + S + C :: Fair Trade Collection Tea Chest - Mighty Leaf Tea :: $20
3. F :: Trade Case of Organic Peppermint - Hampstead Tea :: $13
4. F + E :: Organic Dark Hot Chocolate Mix - Equal Exchange :: $8
5. F :: Guatemala Fair Trade Organic Coffee - Boulder Organic Coffee :: $14
6. F :: Seriously Velvety Instant Hot Chocolate - Clipper Tea Shop :: ~$5
7. F + S :: The Emily Chardonay - New Dawn Wine :: $15
8. F :: Raw Cane Sugar - Tate & Lyle :: $9
S :: Hot Cocoa Night - If you don't have much to spend on a big holiday party, have your friends over for hot cocoa (see 6 above) and candy canes. Throw on a movie and you've spent less than $10 for up to 20 people.
1. L + S :: Holiday Pairings Collection - Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams :: $48 – We all know Jeni's started here ;)
2. L :: Ohio Mandala Ornament - Ohio Explored :: $20 – Made in Ohio
3. L :: Noir Candle - H & B :: $16 – Made in Cincinnati
4. L :: Ohio Beer Cap Collection - Noeldoubt Designs :: $105 – Made in Ohio
5. C :: Love Cleveland Hate Cancer tee - Flight and Co. x Fresh Brewed Tees :: $28 – Supports the Cleveland Clinic
6. L + S :: Snowflake Pillar Candle - Ginger Bee :: $20 – Made in Ohio
7. L + C :: Ohio Tee - Winks and Whiskers :: $28 – Gives to Animal Charities
8. L :: Backpack - Honest Carry Goods :: $350 – Made in Columbus
9. L + S :: Spicy Santa Dish Towel - Natterdoodle :: $17 – Made in Columbus
10. L :: Holiday Packaged Non-Toxic Starter Kit - The Humble Hive :: $38 – Handmade in Dayton
11. L :: Tie Dye Scarf- ElizaDotDesign :: $68 – Handmade in Cincinnati
12. L :: Cookbook - North Market :: $10 – Created by Columbus vendors
13. L + C :: Knit Head Band - Flight and Co. :: $40
L :: Go peruse the Short North or Over-The-Rhine to find unique gifts and support local small business!
L :: Find a local craft fair, market, or expo and discover amazing local artisans to support!
Cheers to the thoughtful gifters,
and happy holidays from all of us at POINT!
POINT is a 501(c)3 organization creating the easiest way to volunteer*, ever. Download our Beta app.
*Opportunities and events only available in Columbus, Ohio, for now.