Eco-Friendly Gift Guide 2019
POINT’s Eco-Friendly Gift Guide for Family, Friends, and Co-Workers
THE EASIEST WAY TO FIND GIFTS THAT DO MORE GOOD, IN REAL LIFE.
Hello POINT family! Our annual gift guide is here! (Check out last year’s: 100+ Ethical Gifts Under $100) Normally we focus on ethical gifts that are fair trade, local, sustainable, or give back to a cause. But this year we’ve been so inspired by Greta Thunberg and the growing activism in the climate movement that we decided to focus on gifts that are all sustainable and eco-friendly! Plus, when companies take the environment into the equation, they usually also have other ethical measures in place for their workers and suppliers and often donate a portion of their profits.
WHAT IS POINT? WHY MAKE A GIFT GUIDE?
POINT is the easiest way to find volunteering opportunities, ever. We have a free mobile app that you can download on the App Store and Google Play to find ways to get involved for the causes you care about. Our mission is to eliminate barriers to doing good through technology, so when it comes to holiday shopping, we want to help people do more good with their purchases, too. That’s why we focus on eco-friendly and ethical gifts!
SO, WHAT MAKES SOMETHING ECO-FRIENDLY?
It all starts with the materials and production. Eco-friendly products can use materials that are recycled, biodegradable, or sustainable to produce. Many eco-friendly manufacturers use carbon neutral factories, or create products in a closed loop system that saves water and prevents harmful chemicals from polluting the environment. Or, being eco-friendly means the products can replace something else in your life to create sustainable habits, like bringing your own coffee mug or using beeswax wraps instead of plastic wrap.
POINTer #1: Download the “Done Good” Google Chrome plugin before you start shopping this gift guide. It’s like Honey, but for ethical brands. A ton of the brands on here are Done Good Approved, and you can get major discounts with their code!
POINTer #2: We like to feature brands on the guide people might not have heard of yet, but some of our go-to eco-friendly faves are Patagonia, Reformation, TenTree, Tala, and Everlane. Check them out!
Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Old School Cool Kids
THIS IS FOR THE VSCO GIRL, THAT 70S SHOW FAN, THE MID-CENTURY MODERN DECORATOR, ETC. YOU KNOW THE TYPE.
- Big Sur notebook | Decomposition Book | $8
Made out of 100% recycled paper, and recyclable when done!
- Bee House | Bambeco | $20
Bring back the bees! Plus, you can get it on Amazon Prime. But make sure you use smile.amazon.com and pick a charity so that a portion of the sale gets donated.
- Bataan 3L Fanny Pack | Cotopaxi | $30
Each fanny pack is unique, made using fabric scraps left over from other companies’ larger production runs, plus they donate a portion of each purchase to organizations working to alleviate global poverty.
- Geometric Planter | Adrian Martinus | $30
Made out of reclaimed Acacia wood and dyed maple.
- Parks Project x National Geographic Legacy Beanie | The Parks Project | $30
Each purchase helps fund habitat restoration, wildlife conservation, and environmental education in national parks.
- Protect the Planet Gift Box | Conscious Step | $45
The coolest socks-as-a-gift pack you’ll ever give. These organic cotton and fair trade certified socks give to ocean protection, rainforest conservation, and tree planting organizations.
- Re-Spun Tee | Marine Layer | $50-70
This collection is made out of recycled tees that were broken down and re-spun into new shirts. This is what we like to call a circular economy!
- Recycled Skateboard Necklace | Uncommon Goods | $64
Handmade using upcycled pieces of old skateboard decks.
- Arrow Blanket | Sackcloth x Ashes | $109
Made from recycled Italian wool, they donate a blanket to a homeless shelter with each purchase.
- Corduroy Field Pants | Outerknown | $118
Made of hemp and organic cotton, designed to minimize environmental impact and created with fair labor standards.
- Vintage Pullover + Jogger Set | Matethe Label | $108 + $128
Made of GOTS certified organic cotton and nontoxic dyes in a sustainable supply chain, and shipped in all reusable/recyclable materials.
- Fisherman Sweater | Outerknown | $138
Thoughtfully designed to last and made of merino wool and organic cotton with fair labor standards.
- Modelo ‘89 Sneakers | Wado | $148
Each pair is made from recycled and sustainable materials and plants two trees!
Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Visionaries
AKA THE INFLUENCERS, THE TREND-SETTERS, THE GO-GETTERS. THEY TAKE THE ORDINARY AND MAKE IT BETTER.
- Nail Polish | Olive and June | $8
Free of the 7 most harmful chemicals found in nail polish, which is better for the person wearing it and the environment.
- Meow Meow Tweet Vegan Lip Balm | Package Free Shop | $14
Big tubes of delicious lip balm in compostable paper, made sustainably in small batches with non-toxic ingredients.
- Bikini Cut Panty | Khana Panties | $16
Stared by another Ohio gal and advised by Kim K’s former COO, Steph Shepherd, each pair is made ethically in LA out of bamboo and donates a pair to a girl in Uganda. Pads have become common, but panties have not, meaning girls are still missing out on school without them.
- Colorful Cork Luggage Tag | Uncommon Goods | $17
Super trendy and made from recycled cork
- No. 8 Candle | Lucky No. Candles | $33
These delicious scented candles also have crystals in the wax for extra goodness and are made from sustainable coconut soy wax. Lucky No. 8 smells like ginger, geranium, rose, and sandalwood.
- Recycled Whisky Tumblers (set of 4) | NewlyGoods | $36
These 100% recycled glass tumblers are perfect for your brother’s new bar cart.
- Slip Hoop Earrings | Favor Jewelry | $44
Handmade in Portland from non-toxic chemicals and recycled metals, they donate 3% of their profits and their old tools, AND they ship all pieces in compostable packaging.
- Travel Kit | Ettitude | $48
Sleep mask, eye pillow with organic lavender, and a pillowcase made out of organic, sustainable bamboo lyocell.
- Jewel Box | Herbivore Botanicals | $58
Non-toxic skincare with plant-based ingredients and recyclable/reusable packaging.
- Mattock II Slim Fit | Toad & Co. | $70
Made from sustainable materials, PLUS you can get items shipped in a recycled vinyl bag that you send back for them to reuse, AND they donate 1% for the planet. 100% guilt-free online holiday shopping.
- Vintage Kilim Handwoven Pillow | Eye Heart Mercantile | $78
Perfect for your friend who has a modern apartment with vintage flair.
- Zodiac Charms | Bagatiba | $110
Made with sustainable metals and shipped in compostable/recyclable packaging.
- Crowley Sunglasses in Ivory Tortoise | Zeal Optics | $149
All the plastic is plant-based (not derived from oil/fossil fuels) in their sunglasses and ski goggles, plus they plant a tree for every purchase.
Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Empaths
FOR THE FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS THAT ARE ALWAYS HELPING ANY AND EVERY LIVING THING, AND LOVE TO BE SURROUNDED BY HYGGE CHARM.
- Cayenne Veracruz Orange Trio | Jcoco Chocolate | $7.50
Delicious chocolate that funds a meal donation to someone in need.
- Holiday Bath Bombs | Lush | $6-10
The OG of naked products—aka no packaging or returnable/recyclable/compostable packaging. Plus, they’re handmade and donate a percentage of profits to environmental organizations.
- Dog and Cat Toys | TheFoggy Dog | $16 and $9
The squeaker dog toys are sustainably made from recycled material and donate food to local shelters. The cat toys are fair trade and made from bio-degradable wool.
- Dog Paw Herbal Salve | Package Free Shop | $10
Lick-friendly, natural salve for dry and cracked puppy paws.
- Huichol Ceramic Beaded Planter | Eye Heart Mercantile | $14
Perfect for your friend that’s always giving people cuttings, this lil planter was handmade by the Huichol in the Western Sierra Madre Mountains.
- Milk and Honey Bath Soak | Moon Bath Ritual | $22
Packaged in 100% post-consumer plastic. Moon Bath Ritual also pays for a monthly carbon offset and donates 1% for the planet.
- Winter Essentials Kit | Cocokind | $28
Certified organic and cruelty-free, they use their impact foundation to support female entrepreneurs in the health, wellness, and sustainability industries.
- Gather Candle | Handmade Habitat | $30
This cinnamon, orange, and clove candle is made from US-produced soy wax and a cotton + recycled paper wick. The perfect winter scent.
- Honey Flight | Beekeepers Naturals | $34
Save the bees—10% of profits are donated to charities that research and work to conserve bee populations.
- Zero Waste Fur Baby Kit | Package Free Shop | $41
A dog-owners best friend, with package-free, compostable, eco-friendly doggie essentials.
- Yalova Eco-Friendly Ultra Soft Throw Blanket | Hilana | $55
Produced in a closed loop system from 57% upcycled cotton.
Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Backpackers
THE ONES WHO CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF THE OUTDOORS, NO MATTER THE SEASON.
- Collapsible Coffee Cup | Stojo | $15
Each year, Americans throw away 58,000,000,000 disposable, non-recyclable coffee cups. Help someone reduce their waste with this easy-to-transport collapsible coffee mug.
- Utensil Set | Woodable | $15
Perfect for an outdoor bbq, these are FSC and Rainforest Alliance certified, sustainably harvested, and watered with seasonal mountain runoff.
- First Light Cloth | Kula Cloth | $22
For the adventurous lady in your life. Made with bamboo, organic cotton, and anti-microbial silver thread.
- Chai Candle | Mala the Brand | $27
Each candle purchase plants a tree in North America.
- Pourigami and Copper Camp Cup | Miir | $30 + $20
Miir is a certified B corp with products for a sustainable lifestyle, plus each purchase helps fund clean water, environmental, and community projects.
- Nature Long Sleeve Tee | Toad & Co. | $45
Made from sustainable materials, PLUS you can get items shipped in a recycled vinyl bag that you send back for them to reuse, AND they donate 1% for the planet.
- The Sweatflow Legging V2 | Ever Brand | $75
Each purchase of leggings funds solar-powered water purification systems for rural villages. They’re ethically manufactured, plus the antimicrobial material is designed to be stink-free and can be worn multiple times before washing.
- Art Hammock | Madera Outdoor Co. | $90
It takes 2 trees to hang a hammock, so they plant 2 trees for every hammock sold.
- Men’s and Women’s Tech Long Sleeve Crewes | Icebreaker | $130 + $100
Eco-friendly technical apparel for outdoor activity, made with sustainable and ethical merino wool in a traceable supply chain.
- The Solar Cooker | GoSun | $249
Can cook food using no coal/propane, heating it using solar energy. Perfect for the camper in your life!
- Titanium Spork | Snow Peak | $10
Durable and multi-use, perfect for the camper or just the on-the-go multitasker in the fam.
Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Mama & Papa Bears (& Cubs)
GIFTS FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY! FROM INSPIRING KID’S TOYS TO SELF-CARE FOR MOM & DAD.
- Eco Finger Paint | Uncommon Goods | $16
Made in Maine using all natural ingredients. Mix in with water, and voila!
- Eco-engineering Solar Rover | Amazon | $16
Inspire the young scientist in your life—who knows, they could save the world! P.S. Remember to use Amazon Smile!
- Organic Cotton Maple Teether Rings | Package Free Shop | $17
Most teethers are made from plastic, which isn’t great for baby or the earth.
- Dotted Kitchen Towel | Bloom and Give | $18
Made with no electricity consumption, this was hand spun, hand dyed, and line-dried.
- Dapper Lumberjack | The Friendly Candle | $18
Sustainably made in Columbus, Ohio! Each label contains wildflower seeds to be planted in a yard, or in the jar when the candle is done!
- Body Oil Mini Set | Esker | $18
Non-toxic beauty care in sustainable packaging.
- Chai Lipstick | The Tart Peach | $20
Handmade in small batches in Columbus with only non-toxic ingredients.
- Women’s Multivitamin | Ritual | $30
Ethically and sustainably sourced, they’ve got multivitamin subscriptions for women and mamas-to-be!
- The Clean Essentials Kit | Blueland | $38
These reusable bottles save hundreds from being thrown away each year.
- Bath Towel | Boll and Branch | $45
Nothing’s better than a soft fluffy towel…except one thats 100% organic cotton and ethically made.
- Upcycled Mesh Mini Backpack | Rewilder Goods | $54
Perfect for little kiddos!
- Baby Set + Joggers + V-Neck Tee | Boody | $40-66 each
Keep your favorite little family cozy this winter with super soft bamboo basics.
- Sothea Pants | Tonle | $75
Sustainably manufactured with a traceable impact.
Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Zero-Wasters
YOU KNOW ‘EM AND YOU LOVE ‘EM—THEY ALWAYS BRING THEIR OWN BAGS AND PROBABLY COMPOST.
- Swedish Dish Cloths | Ten & Co. | $6
Biodegradable at the end of their life, and can replace up to 17 rolls of paper towels!
- Black Tea with Mango | Ajiri | $10
Sustainably sourced in Kenya, packed in a recyclable box designed by a local artist, with biodegradable tea bags and labels made from dried plants.
- 50th Anniversary Cabernet Sauvignon | Fetzer Wine | $13
Running on solar since ‘99 (for real), zero waste certified, and a B corp. Dang, that’s a good wine!
- Recycled Feed Bag Shopping Tote | Malia Designs | $20
Gives new life to a single-use product, and also fights human trafficking. #versatile
- Zero Waste Cookbook | Uncommon Goods | $20
Americans throw away 40% of the food we buy, and as it sits in the landfill it creates greenhouse gases. Gift your fave foodie this book to help them cook more sustainably!
- The Bath Kit | The Refill Shoppe | $25
Everything at the Refill Shoppe is—you guessed it—refillable! Packaged in beautiful and durable glass, refills come in pouches with a pre-paid return label, so you fill your glass containers up, and ship the refill pouch back to be re-used! Comes with bubble bath, and 2 kinds of bath salts.
- Biodegradable Straws | HAY! Straws | $30
Perfect for the zero-waste party host. They never get soggy, and are compostable.
- Polermo Botanical Facial Steam | Whimsy + Row | $32
Organic herbal facial steam that ships in 100% recycled and recyclable packaging.
- Zero Waste Hero Pack | The Native Loom | $35
It’s got the zero waste/sustainable lifestyle essentials: a jute shopping tote, mesh produce bags, steel straws, and organic cotton reusable tea bags.
- Stoneware Travel Mug | Uncommon Goods | $36
Handmade in Virginia, and perfect for the person who is always on the go.
- Lipstick in Sucre | Kjaer-Weis | $58
Non-toxic, high-quality, refillable makeup. The luck lady that gets gifted this can keep the case, then swap out a new color that comes in recyclable packaging. Plus, this shade by Kjaer Weis + Caroline Issa donates 25% of proceeds to Women for Women International.
- High Rise Legging | Girlfriend Collective | $68
Made of recycled bottles and can be re-recycled through their re-girlfriend program. Size inclusive for every exerciser, XXS-6XL.
- Reverie Jogger | Wolven Threads | $96
Sustainably made out of recycled bottles.
Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Zen-Friend
THE ONES THAT ~ ACTUALLY ~ GO TO YOGA, MEDITATE, AND HAVE A HOME FULL OF CANDLES AND PLANTS.
- Standard Baggu | Baggu | $12
It folds up so its easy to keep in a purse, backpack, car, or even a large coat pocket. Comes in 50 prints.
- Bamboo Utensil Set | theotherstraw | $12
Portable and stylish, your friend will never need single-use plastic ware again!
- Marble Pillar Candle | Goldrick Natural Living | $20
100% pure beeswax with a cotton wick, packaged sustainably.
- Scalp and Roots Oat Mask | Seed Phytonutrients | $28
Men and women would appreciate this scalp mask—especially in the winter. All packaging is post-consumer, and ingredients are organic and sustainable.
- SoL Water Bottle (29 oz) | One Less Co. | $35
Replaces single use water bottles and can be used for hot or cold beverages. Comes with a jute pouch and cleaning brush.
- Bhutanese Collection Meditation Cushion | Kathmandu Yogi | $45
Good for anyone who meditates or prays. Fair trade and handmade from organic cotton.
- Recycled Glass Bulb Trio | Uncommon Goods | $45
Made of recycled glass. Great for gardeners who want to keep flowers in bloom all year long.
- Restore Travel Kit | Annmarie Skincare | $60
Perfect for moms and aunts who want to keep a youthful glow. All organic and wildcrafted, produced sustainably and packaged in recyclable glass.
- Men’s Summit Boardshort | Wolven Threads | $72
Whether he’s going to yoga or the beach, these shorts made from recycled bottles are stylish and versatile.
- Empath Eucalyptus Leggings and Top | PurushaPeople | $99 + $58
Plastic-free activewear made out of sustainably harvested eucalyptus and organic dyes. Handmade in the USA.
- Eucalyptus Sheet Set | Buffy | $200 (full)
Eucalyptus takes 10x less water to grow than cotton and is super silky. Dyed with organic plants and tea.
That’s a wrap on our eco-friendly gift guide this year!
If you want to take it a step further…
How to be more sustainable this holiday season
Check out our guide to environmentally-friendly gift wrapping, party hosting, and holiday decorating.
Where to donate during the holidays
We’ve got you covered for donations in Columbus during the next couple months.
HAPPY SHOPPING AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
P.S. Bring POINT to your city by filling out the form below! Our app currently has opportunities available in Columbus, but we are expanding rapidly in 2020. Tell us where to go next!